Isn’t It Time to Get Over the “When is Doctor Who coming back?” Thing?

It’s a podKast without a Cawley this week, as James McLean and Brian A Terranova take the reins and discuss the importance of knowing when the next series of Doctor Who will air. Has that particular item of hype been sold down the river now? Should we not just accept now that a new series will be along soon, let’s find something to do until it airs and not worry?

Click play to find out…

[powerpress]

Kasterborous PodKast Series 5 Episode 19 Shownotes

PodKast theme tune is by Russell Hugo.

Listen to the PodKast

There are several ways to listen. In addition to the usual player above, we’re pleased to announce that you can also stream the podKast using Stitcher, an award-winning, free mobile app available for Android and iPhone/iPad. This pretty much means that you can listen to us anywhere without downloading – pretty neat, we think you’ll agree! (Note that it can take a few hours after a new podKast is published to “catch up”.)

Stitcher

Audioboom

What’s more, you can now listen and subscribe to the podKast via our Audioboom channel (formerly Audioboo)! Head to https://audioboom.com/channel/doctorwhopodkast and click play to start listening. You can also comment and record your own boos in response to our discussions! Meanwhile you can use the player below to listen through Audioboom:

You haven’t clicked play yet?! What are you waiting for? As well as our new Stitcher and Audioboo presence you can also use one of these amazingly convenient ways to download and enjoy this week’s podKast.

1. Use the player in the top right of the Kasterborous home page, or visit the podKast menu link.
  2. Listen with the “pop out” player above, which also allows you to download the podKast to your computer.
  3. You can also take advantage of the RSS feed to subscribe to the podKast for your media player, and even find us on iTunes, where your reviews will help the show considerably.

1. Rick714 says:

There’s always a lot of time wasting speculation about the show–“will the Doctor be a woman/black, etc” or the whole nutty ratings worry thing or what have you.

Simply wondering when it will premiere each year… Well, that’s fairly harmless on the fans part and mainly it’s VERY unprofessional on the Beeb’s part. They shouldn’t play coy so often because it makes it seem as if they don’t know what they’re doing.

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

I Know it annoys people (me included) but you have to remember about the competitors – namely ITV in this case. Giving away debut dates too soon simply gives other channels time to pre-empt the show and do their own scheduling in order to undermine Doctor Who’s viewing figures. We all know roughly when it will be shown so what does it really matter? It’ll be on when it is on.

2. kwijino says:

If you want to see for yourself one of the worst Doctor Who stories ever filmed (I hated the ending), you can spend $5, not $200 and see it legally. The BBC has embraced digital downloads in a way that has not been covered by the press much.

Hey, that’s not the worst. It’s not great but Colin and Patrick together is a delight when they get going.

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Agreed. Not a classic by any standard of the word but one of the few highlights during Colin’s unfortunately brief time in the role. Personally I would have loved to see more Jamie/Peri stories as they had a great chemistry. Not got round to listening to the BF audios with 6 and Jamie and Zoe but look forward to them.

Me neither but it’s high on my “To Buy” list. Six was good with Jamie in The Two Doctors. Not to mention that Jamie & Zoe are among the best companions ever, both on my top ten, so seeing (or hearing) them with Colin Baker would be amazing. ASAP I’ll be getting it.

• kwijino says:

Hey, you are still my bud, but I think you and I have different ideas on what makes a good episode. I will admit I liked it till everyone got shot at the end, and it made that heavy handed vegan point. Those were my complaints. The reason the DVD is not sold is because it had “A Fix with Sontarans” in it, and we all know about Jimmy now, so that will never be released again.

I’d never qualify The Two Doctors as a good story. It’s just not a bad one. It’s overly violent and hamfistedly vegan with lots of padding but otherwise I can forgive its misgivings because there’s a lot of good stuff in there too. The Target novelisation (by Holmes who, as we know, wrote the TV script) does the story justice much better.

• ThePurpleFrockCoat says:

I got The Two Doctors years ago and just listen to the commentaries of Colin Baker, Frazier Hines, Nicola Bryant and Jacqueline Pearce. 🙂

3. itsonlythesoaps says:

For me the secrecy of when Doctor Who is coming back is just bizarre as on this side of the pond that is not done. Usually we get exact dates pretty quickly over here or at least are told the month of return. (When channels over here don’t announce dates, it usually means there is trouble with the production.)

I think the whole taking a break thing is understandable when a particular fandom has been such a large part of your life for so many years. Binge watching has changed a lot of things though I’ve been doing that (11-12 years old going to neighbor’s house to watch show on VHS) or viewing programs via strip syndication (1 or 2 episodes Mon-Fri since I can remember first show I did that with was Scooby Doo). US television now doesn’t really have an “off” season like the past where there were maybe only 2 or 3 new shows over the summer and you could watch reruns or whatever. So it does seem like an “endless” cycle of new things to consume. There were over 300 new primetime shows available to watch in the US last year, and 20 years ago the number was a lot smaller.

I wonder how people found out about regeneration. That may be a good topic. The Two Doctors just aired on RetroTV in the last four weeks. (RTV is available in certain places in the US and there is a legal live feed of one of them.) Please pass this along to Brian, but in Iowa they still show Doctor Who on their public television station. They started over 40 years ago, and continue to show reruns though they haven’t shown anything classic since March (2nd Doctor), right now they’re reairing Matt Smith material. Idaho Public television has most of Matt Smith era episodes available for streaming for free in the US.