Who Is Your Least Favourite Doctor?

If you’ve been part of the online world of the Whovian fandom for, well, any length of time (even for, like, just a week) you’ve seen the “Who is YOUR Doctor?” lists and quizzes and arguments that permeate the fandom. With so many different actors having inhabited the role, it’s natural that people will have their favourites and versions they most connect with. Especially during this time between series, what else is there to talk about?

So we’ve decided to phrase the same question but in the opposite direction – who is your LEAST favourite Doctor?

Least favorite? That’s a tough one for me. When it comes to roles that have had multiple people play them, I tend to not dislike any of the performance per se, because each person has brought to life their own version of the character. That being said, there are those versions of said character that I prefer to watch or enjoy the most, time after time.

So just know that this list is fluid. It depends on what I’ve recently seen (The Enemy Of The World) and what I’m feeling any given day. Most especially the Doctors that fall in the middle of this list, the order is not set in stone, although my favourites don’t tend to change much.

The Seventh Doctor

doctor_who_remembrance_of_the_daleks

Sylvester McCoy is awesome. His Seventh Doctor? He’s ok. He’s just…there. He doesn’t inspire in me any love or want to see his stories again. Even with a bat wielding, bomb making, kickass chick for a companion.

The  Fifth Doctor

e88058598da7414ee012aea96bbee819

Boyish. Charming. Rakish even. He feels like a placeholder, someone to fill the role after the man who became the Doctor left the show, like they knew they could have anyone in the role and people would still watch, so let’s make him pretty!  And celery?

The Sixth Doctor

sixth-doctor1

Accuses and throttles his companion. I can get past the costume and that there was so much behind the scenes politics, but I can’t even get through all of Trial Of A Time Lord. The Doctor may be a Madman with a Box, but he’s just a little too mad for me.

The Fourth Doctor

tom-baker

This’ll get me hate, I’m fairly sure. Tom Baker might be the iconic look everyone thinks of when they think Doctor Who, but like the Sixth Doctor, the Fourth Doctor is just too mad for me. And leaving Sarah Jane like that?

The War Doctor

DOCTOR-WHO-50TH-ANNIVERSARY_THE-DAY-OF-THE-DOCTOR_61

John Hurt is an extraordinary actor. I’ve lost count how many times I’ve seen the Day Of The Doctor, but it’s not because of him. He falls low on my list honestly, not due to anything bad about the War Doctor, but just for knowing he even exists since Eccleston wouldn’t play ball, even for such a momentous occasion. I have dreams of what could have been.

The Eighth Doctor

DrW_2734417b

I don’t hate the Eighth Doctor. His movie is just very ’90s. It’s horribly dated, even more than the older episodes of the show with their sometimes really lame special effects. I did love his little minisode though and I’m glad he got a proper regeneration.

The Second Doctor

cover-crop5

Troughton isn’t perfect but has his better moments. Forget Mr. Clever – the dual role of the Doctor and Salamander is genius. He gets kudos for having a male historical companion.

The First Doctor

vlcsnap-2010-07-27-12h20m59s135

Hartnell is good. I can get behind the grumpy grandpa vibe. And every once in a while there is that twinkle of mischief in his eyes that belies that in the life of the character, he may look older but he is still quite young. The Aztecs is a good example of this, unintentionally getting hitched over a cup of cocoa, the sly fox.

The Ninth Doctor

9thDoctorEccleston

Eccleston gets a bad rep because of his effort to distance himself from the show but his Doctor has so many good moments; it’s easy to look past much of that, since it is partly due to how he was treated. I continually find new ways I love his fantastic portrayal.

The Twelfth Doctor

Twelfth Doctor Deep Breath

The new guy. He definitely has… something. Thankfully he’ll get at least a second season, if not more, to show us his Doctor.

The Third Doctor

023-doctor-who-theredlist

Yes, I’m a nuWhovian, I freely admit that. So yes, my favourites are always going to be the new guys. But when it comes to classic Who, I love me some Third Doctor. The butt kicking, dandy, devilishly handsome older gentleman with a cool car – this isn’t someone’s grandpa. Even his getting stuck here on Earth doesn’t diminish from his awesomeness.

The Tenth Doctor

Tenth_doctor_main7

How do you NOT love David Tennant? Even if you aren’t fond of the egotistical, narcissistic Tenth Doctor, you can’t deny that Tennant acted the heck out of the role. What Tom Baker is to classic Who, Tennant is to nuWho.

The Eleventh Doctor

1455138_648704581847685_1762202104_n

Yup. Eleven is “My Doctor.” I watched all of nuWho so quickly that for a while, Nine, Ten, and Eleven were ALL “My Doctor.” But as time went on, I found myself so drawn to Matt Smith’s old-man-in-a-young-man’s-body version of the Doctor. His wanting to feel young at hearts but his eyes betraying his age and all that he’s seen – and endured. Some of his finest moments are some of the best of the 50 years of Doctor Who.

There you have it, my list. So who’s your least favourite? Keep the conversation polite and respectful, and like I’ve done above, explain why the Doctor you have chosen is your least favourite (as opposed to disliked – no hating here, please).

1. Pieter Van Der Laan says:

Matt Smith

2. Castellan Spandrel says:

I hate to single out one as ‘least favourite’ – they’ve all got *something* about them – but it’s probably Eccleston.

I was delighted when he was cast as I’d loved him in other stuff, but he just wasn’t ‘The Doctor’ to me. Didn’t believe in him as a Time Lord from Gallifrey for one minute. He annoyed me sometimes too, with that grin, ‘Fantastic’, his poor attempts at comedy and calling Dickens ‘Charlie Boy’.

I say this with a heavy heart, as he had some electrifying scenes in stories such as ‘Dalek’, and that was a great first season of the modern run.

It was between him and C Baker & McCoy for the wooden spoon, but they were more ‘Doctorish’ to me.

• James Lomond says:

Right behind you re Ecclestone. Totally didn’t buy him as the Doctor. He worked hard but I’ve never seen a more uncomfortable forced performance. And then there’s the enormous chip on his shoulder meaning he’ll never come back. The 50th!!- can’t give a bigger two fingers to DW than refuse to take part while playing a campy space villain in another franchise. …Oh dear I seem to find the *least favourite* thing a bit too easy :/

• James Lomond says:

But then I LOVE McCoy- but only the second 2/3rds. Of course. 😉

• Semi-Evil Semi-Genius says:

Yeah, that really irks me about him. Makes me retroactively dislike his Doctor more. He had some mixed performances, but repeat viewings just make me think about Thor 2. He spoke gibberish the whole time, and didn’t even have any great action scenes. I think appearing in the 50th would’ve helped my perspective on the 9th because he came in the first series, which was testing the waters, and maybe a performance years down the road could’ve helped define him greatly.

• James Lomond says:

Or not – maybe we’ve been spared! 😉

• Dr Moo says:

For me, seeing less of No.9 is a blessing in disguise (in a fairly roundabout sort of way) because it helps keep the level of mystery much higher for that incarnation of the character than it is for the any of the other Doctors. It makes him unique among them in that respect since we know a lot about all of the others (even One, Eight & War) but we don’t know anything at all about Nine’s life from before he met Rose. I like having a large amount of mystery surrounding the character, the eventual (and inevitable?) over-familiarity was a big part of how the original series got cancelled.

3. TheLazyWomble says:

If fans can have a favourite Doctor, logically they should have a least favourite. But I decline to pick a least favourite.

They all have their good points, but I have no trouble declaring who I consider least among them, and that’s Eccleston. It’s not due to anything he did, really, as taken on the acting alone he’s great. But with one short season to judge on, and a very uneven season at that, he falls to the bottom of the pack for me.

And to the article’s writer, I would say if you haven’t yet, please check out the Big Finish monthly Doctor Who range. It might give you a new perspective on Five, Six and Seven. Especially Six, since BF has allowed Colin to prove over and over how wonderful he could have been if he’d been given half a chance.

5. Ranger says:

Matt Smith. This is actually easier than picking my favourite Doctor as they all (even Smith) have some great stories and moments. But Smith is my least favourite, not because of his youth, which was the argument many put forward when he was cast (and anyway he looked the same as Davison to me and his age was never a problem for me) but because I could never believe in him as the Doctor. He never captured the essence of the role for me and it’s difficult to explain why. On the surface, there seemed to be everything there – unpredictability, moments of genius, mercurial mood swings, etc, etc. But somehow it just didn’t click for me. Others will probably explain why in better terms than I can, but at the end of the day, something like this is just pure, unanalysed, instantaneous feeling. The same as I knew 2 minutes into watching Capaldi for the first time that he was right as the Doctor and not just right, but arguably the best.

6. bar says:

Some of my most favourite stories star my least favourite Doctors, which suggests the actors and writers and co-stars can still make magic whatever our personal taste in the personality of the lead.
    I love the Hinchcliffe era, especially Robots and Talons, and even like Deadly Assassin, but Tom Baker never made me feel that I could trust the Doctor, always left me feeling unsettled rather than safe, especially when he got to parodying his own stories. I like the actor to take it deadly seriously, even in the comedy – let the writers do the jokes. See City of Death for the fun they can all have when it works.
    Then there’s Midnight, a one-off gem from RTD, leaving the tenth Doctor drained of all emotion, energy or compassion – brilliantly played by David Tennant, whose usual portrayal of the Doctor was too emo, too boastful and too human for me, even when going off the rails at the end. But Waters of Mars still has great rewatch value for me, as Lindsay Duncan is the perfect foil for him.

And then there’s the least favourite stories with favourite Doctors – famously the TVM, with almost nothing good about it EXCEPT McGann. If you liked ‘Night of’ but have not yet heard the range and depth he gives his Doctor with that amazing voice on BF, you’re in for a treat; you ain’t heard nothin’ yet.
    And ‘my’ Doctor, Jon Pertwee, struggled through some Monster messes like the Time M or the M of Peladon. and early experimental adventures with CSO.
    Peter Davison plus Graeme Harper and great writing and guests made Androzani the tops for so many, but he was lumbered with timeflight, warriors of the deep etc. But even then I never doubted the trustworthiness of his Doctor. I particularly liked that, in Enlightenment, he knew what Turlough was about, but gave him space to come to his own decision. reciprocal trust, even before the comapnion had ‘earned’ it.
    And then there’s Kill The Moon, which I like less and less, but Capaldi is already storming as the Doctor, verging on definitive, and acts rings around the woeful plot. Unlike Clara I trusted that the Doctor left them for the best reasons. And grumpycat Doctor gets to enthuse about something.

So which are your favourite best/worst combinations?

• Ranger says:

I agree totally with you Bar, though with different combinations of course (being a complete Tennant devotee!). Troughton and the Tomb of the Cybermen is heaven, as is Web, but the Invasion is not a great story and I think he struggles in it. Whereas, my least favourite, Smith, started off so promisingly in The Eleventh Hour which I still think is one of the best post-regeneration stories. City of Death is rated one one of the best, and rightly so with Tom at his peak, but I think it suffers from the same problem as Arc of Infinity – they spend way too much time just aimlessly running around, because look! DW has gone abroad and we’re going to prove it by endless shots of Paris/Amsterdam streets.

My favourite best/worst combination though is Capaldi and the disaster that was Into the Forest – it was an insult to Capaldi to offer him that story.

My favourite best/best combination: Tom and Pyramids of Mars, just sheer perfection, with nothing to detract in any shape or form; followed rapidly by Tom and The Seeds of Doom.

• Semi-Evil Semi-Genius says:

Agree quite a bit. Capaldi is excellent, and In the Forest of the Night was absolute garbage (even the name says it’s garbage!). I didn’t like Kill the Moon either, but it started off pretty good, but crumbled at the end. Forest has so little redeemable value.

• Dr Moo says:

Good story bad Doctor: Midnight, David Tennant. The Time Meddler, William Hartnell. The Caves Of Androzani, Peter Davison.

Bad story good Doctor: Time & The Rani, Sylvester McCoy. The Twin Dilemma, Colin Baker. Kill The Moon, Peter Capaldi.

While I’m at it, here for the record is what I consider to be the top 10 best Doctor Who stories of all time:
      1-Listen. 2-Midnight.
      3-Inferno. 4-The Eleventh Hour.
      5-The Curse Of Fatal Death.* 6-The Keeper Of Traken.
      7-Earthshock. 8-The Night Of The Doctor.
      9-The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances.
      10-The Enemy Of The World.
      *If fatal death doesn’t count then add Last Christmas.

• Semi-Evil Semi-Genius says:

I can see that. I loved the Eleventh Doctor quite a lot, but he had some terrible stories. It’s the bits between the nonsensical plot chunks that he shines. I think the Tenth has some of my favorite stories (Human Nature / Family of Blood, and the Waters of Mars), but he’s not my favorite. I think I segregate actor performances and plots inside my head, so I can love the acting, but hate the story, and vice-versa.

• Dr Moo says:

There are times when that is non-optional, see the C.Baker-McCoy years. I don’t like Ten but he gave us Midnight; I do like Six but he gave us Twin Dilemma.

7. Rick714 says:

It’s very hard to separate the Doctors from the era and production staff backing them up. All the actors have done their best in varying situations, so I can only point at the one era that I feel served the show itself badly, the JNT era of the 1980’s. JNT was ever faithful to the show and loved it dearly, but I don’t think he was a good producer and made many many bad choices on the directions the show took starting with Tom’s final season and stretching to Sly’s last. The BBC’s lacking of support also did not help.

I also think nu Who fans are not in a good position to judge the classic Doctors if they started with nu Who. I think largely, they tend to look down on several aspects so their judgements–I feel–are a bit weighted against the old series. No intended slam on them, they just got ushered into a totally different world of the series with a bigger budget and modern take. When you start off with such lavish productions, I do feel that there are some who won’t tolerate some of the creakier sets and effects of old, unfair as that may be.

• Tink says:

I think I’m in a slightly more unique position than most nuWho fans given that I grew up watching Trek – production values hadn’t come that far between 1963 and 1968 so honestly, that stuff really doesn’t bother me. One of my favorite Third Doctor stories (which you’ll note is who I listed as my third fave…) is The Green Death. Maggots crawling on coffee grounds with a bright green filter applied over them. Real lavish production! LOL And then there’s the beautifully simple first time we ever meet a Dalek – we see down it’s eyestalk as it attacks Barbara. Classic and quite genius.

• Dr Moo says:

I was introduced to the show with NuWho (11th Doctor to be precise) but if you look at my comment on this article listing my order of favourite-to-least-favourite you’ll see that I haven’t let it cloud my judgement at all. It annoys me when people label us as the sorts who look down upon ClassicWho because of the poor production values of the 1960s-80s. I do of course know many people who do fit the description of your comment but I feel the same way as you towards them for their dislike of the older stuff. The trouble is that the kids of the 90s & 00s (I was born in ’95) have become a generation that wants everything to look great (e.g. NuWho) and couldn’t care less about stuff that doesn’t (e.g. ClassicWho) but many of us (myself included) have managed to break this trend so please don’t judge us all to be like this as such a judgement, though sometimes correct, is often very unfair.

• Rick714 says:

Oh, I didn’t mean to lump all nu Who fans into one precise category, but I fear there is a healthy percentage who DO fall into the category I mentioned. But I know there are also a lot of open minded fans who appreciation the good and bad of all the era’s of the show and it’s always good to see them. 🙂

I actually heard one person talking about nu Who, particularly the Eccleston series, and this is a person who is just now starting to watch the show and probably isn’t even aware of the classic version. He’s kinda getting into the show….but thinks the effects are “cheesy”. From Eccleston’s shows! I don’t even know how to respond to that…..

• Semi-Evil Semi-Genius says:

Admittedly, Rose (the episode) does suffer from cheesiness. As does Aliens of London / World War III. Effects aren’t everything, but good polish does help.
          And I know you weren’t lumping us all in. There is a definite crowd you’re describing. I just wanted to vocalize that there are some newcomers that don’t fall in line with that thinking.

• Semi-Evil Semi-Genius says:

I was born in 86, and only started watching Doctor Who recently. Of course, with the new stuff. And I get your arguments. I can see a lot of my peers not wanting to watch the classic stuff because production values are everything to them. And I think they are a fair factor, but honestly some of the classic stuff is my favorite. Each era has distinct advantages to storytelling. And ‘Enemy of the World’ is just one of the best stories ever in my book; I thought it looked slick (well, except for Salamander’s exit).

8. FrancoPabloDiablo says:

I refuse to answer! It’s like being asked to pick your least favourite child – impossible as you love them all equally (well, you should anyway)!

9. Dr Moo says:

My list of favourites from best to worst. Be warned, it’s a little controversial in places!

Canon Doctors:
    1- Peter Capaldi. (12th)
    2- Matt Smith. (11th)
    3- Colin Baker. (6th)
    4- Sylvester McCoy. (7th)
    5- Sir John Hurt. (War)
    6- Jon Pertwee. (3rd)
    7- Christopher Ecclestone. (9th)
    8- Tom Baker. (4th)
    9- Patrick Troughton. (2nd)
    10- David Tennant. (Meta-Crisis 10th)
    11- Paul McGann. (8th)
    12- Peter Davison. (5th)
    13- William Hartnell. (1st)
    14- David Tennant. (10th)

Non-canon Doctors:
    1- Hugh Grant. (Alternate 12th)
    2- Richard E Grant. (Alternate 10th)
    3- Rowan Atkinson. (Alternate 9th)
    4- Jim Broadbent. (Alternate 11th)
    5- Richard E Grant. (Shalka)
    6- Joanna Lumley. (Alternate 13th)
    7- Peter Cushing. (Dr Who?)

Just for fun, let’s do the (canon only) Masters as well:
    1- Roger Delgado. (?th)
    2- Derek Jacobi. (17th)
    3- Michelle Gomez. (19th)
    4- John Simm. (18th)
    5- Geoffrey Beevers. (13th)
    6- Anthony Ainley. (14th/Tremas)
    7- Peter Pratt. (13th)
    8- Eric Roberts. (16th/Bruce)
    (Not including: Gordon Tipple as the 15th or William Hughes as the 1st/Child due to their lack of screen-time.)

Of course it’s all down to opinion but this is what I think.

• Ranger says:

I agree with your first places, except I would put Richard E Grant above Hugh Grant – more like Capaldi for me.

• Dr Moo says:

There’s just something about seeing Hugh Grant as the Doctor that you can’t help but love, so much so that rumour has it before Ecclestone was cast RTD asked him to be the 9th Doctor. His version is the charming and handsome gentleman which is only made better when juxtaposed to Jim Broadbent’s ‘nervous child’ interpretation and Joanna Lumley’s ’empowered woman’ version. As for Richard E Grant, I found his Doctor be just a little bit too similar to Rowan Atkinson’s but with added innuendo and ego.

• Clash On Tom says:

You rank Meta-Crisis above 10. Hmmmmm.

• Dr Moo says:

I liked the much darker edge that he has over many of the others. To be honest, I’m not particularly fond of the fact that the Meta-Crisis Doctor even exists (Take it like a man, 10, and just regenerate already!) but he happened and so he must be included and personally that’s where he ends up on my list of faves. At least he gave Tennant a chance to show how he’d have played the Doctor if 10 wasn’t the narcissistic egotist we had to put up with and Tennant’s acting ability is once again shown to be unbelievably good!

• Clash On Tom says:

I just thought it was strange that the fake Tennant was ranked higher than the one that was actually The Doctor (though if he didn’t constantly say I am the Doctor. I am a time lord. I come from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation Kasterborous and I’m… Insert plot here, since he’s basically a narcissistic human with vanity issues and a some special powers.)

• Semi-Evil Semi-Genius says:

Weird list. Brave choices. How does the War Doctor rate so high though?

• Dr Moo says:

John Hurt is an incredible actor, easily the best of the lot (which is saying something!) and I liked how he played the character as a much darker version of the Doctor but under that facade he is still very much the good man we all know. Every time I watch tDotD I enjoy his many-layered performance a little bit more.
            Also, John Hurt is a complete legend!

• Semi-Evil Semi-Genius says:

But one shouldn’t confuse an actor for a character. That’s my reasoning. He did a fine job. But to me, he’s just not a Doctor. Plot-wise certainly. But in the real world, he’s just a tacked on replacement for an actor that wouldn’t return, and a mess of continuity that basically screwed the whole regeneration cycle idea out of commission.

• Dr Moo says:

I understand what you’re saying and am annoyed also that Ecclestone refused to show up but that didn’t stop the War Doctor from being an excellent and in my opinion better alternative to the Ninth Doctor.
            The War Doctor is high on my list because he is a very complex character and very much what the Doctor should be. He’s officially a warrior, not a Doctor, but then it seems like no matter how much he tries to put his life as Doctor behind him he just can’t do it: He is deeply Hurt (Name Of Actor Pun!) when he sees the Gallifreyan children that he was prepared to kill. He is prepared to stand up to the OTT youthfulness of 10 and 11 which nobody else was ever prepared to do. He is very much the gentleman too as seen with his treatment of Clara. His ecstatic joy at learning how he can still save Gallifrey without using the Moment is exactly how the Doctor would/should react. And his ending sacrifice as he realises that he now has 2.5 lives of hating himself falsely really hits hard the more you think about it.
            I personally love that we got a version of the Doctor like this. It adds an excellent new dimension to the character for me and John Hurt plays it to perfection.

10. Mr.fiction says:

Keeping in mind that all incarnations are exactly the same character and that there is only one Doctor, I try not to have favourites. That said, here are my favourites, from best to worst: 11, 4, 12, 5, 2, 3, 7, 8, War, 6, 10, 1, 9.

11. Burstingfoam says:

None of them! All brilliant. There’s no place for this sort of negativity in Who!
    Sorry

I admire yer stance, Burstingfoam, but it’s not negativity-just honesty.

• Burstingfoam says:

Oh I know that, and it’s hopefully just a bit of ‘banter’ back and forth; compared to some folk on the forums, what you’re saying is not even close to negativity.

I think I just rebel against these ideas of ‘worst’ lists wherever they come up (Channel 4 used to do a lot of them, and it annoyed me). I’m just an ‘accentuate the positive’ sort of person, really. And I really do love all Who.

12. LCM says:

*gasp* What a fiendish question! The Doctors it took me longest to warm to are Hartnell and Pertwee, but I love even them now. Splendid chap, etc…. ☺

13. kwijino says:

For me, I like all the actors, and have been fortunate enough through various conventions to have briefly met most of em. I spent many years getting all the stories on DVD (a friend even has given me recons of the missing ones) so I know them all. I would go with Sylv as my least favorite era of Who, because the stories, to me, had the highest ration of stinkers, like Ghost Light, Happiness Patrol, and Greatest Show in the Galaxy.

• Semi-Evil Semi-Genius says:

I feel like the stories make or break the various eras for me. There have been nothing but great actors in the roles as far as I’m concerned, but the staff behind the scenes made poor decisions. (I haven’t seen all the Doctors yet, so I’ll reserve judgment until I conclude their eras).
      (1) Hartnell felt the First Doctor was too curmudgeonly, and wanted him to be warmer, funnier, and more active. When he got those chances later on, he became a better.
      (8) McGann never got a real shot at the Doctor onscreen. It’s good that his TV movie failed because the powers behind that film didn’t get Doctor Who, and would’ve ruined the franchise the more time they got. But I hear McGann is quite good in the audio stories, and I would like to see him on TV again.
      (9) Comedy wasn’t Eccleston’s strong suit, so they should’ve avoided it. Give him more drama, and he’s better. Instead, he got trash cans that burped (sorry, I can’t show that to people new to the show, or they won’t watch a second episode) and farting aliens. Similar to McGann, it’s hard to rate him fairly with a short tenure.
      (10) Tennant was a great actor, but his era is a bit muddled. Companions maybe get too much focus, and so does the romance (I like romance, but let’s keep it to a reasonable ratio for this program). The “save-the-universe-all-time-and-space” plots became insufferable.
      (11) Smith was perfect for me. But overly convoluted plots that made no sense tarnished his era greatly. Rebooting the universe, the ultimate trap can be escaped by escaping, literal reset buttons, love conquering science, all just wastes.
      (12) Capaldi is great, and I think will become my absolute favorite in time. I only disliked Kill the Moon, In the Forest of the Night, and the two-part conclusion. Those episodes had the same mistakes that plagued the Eleventh Doctor – horrible science, and emotion trumping physics.

14. Matthew Burrows says:

David Tennent…sorry but he was far to human, and nothing like what a Doctor should be. Tom is my fav….closely followed by Capaldli.

15. Doc999 says:

I have no least favorite. They are all my Doctor, we couldn’t have the
    great complexities of the newest Doctors without the groundwork laid
    down by the old ones. we live in a separatist world these days, in a time
    when we should be closer as people and countries it’s only getting
    further and further apart, but here we have the brilliant and ridiculous
    show that has united the world over with one thing we love and want
    more Doctor Who. For this the best and worst list don’t sit well with
    me, i barely read forums of the show anymore, they have become more and
    more divisive and rather hateful from a good amount of people who call
    themselves fans of a show about a madman with an impossible Blue box,
    that for me since i started watching so long ago, has been a constant
    inspiration to be better than I was before, to stand my ground and fight
    when it calls for it, and to help people whenever i possibly can. So I
    say there is no room for Nu Who and old, or classic. There is and only
    has Been Doctor Who. Can i get a witness!!!!!!!!! And an
    Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( I have to make fun of myself just a bit on this
    one i did get just a tad bit preachy)

16. Linwe says:

I love all of them, I’ve always said that the Doctor was my Doctor, never having been able to pick a favorite.

But I do have least favorites and they are 9 and 10, emphasis on 9. I have to admit to some bias on Eccleston’s part; I have a very difficult time separating his Doctor from Eccleston himself and his attitude toward the show, but the 9th Doctor was just so…dark. There was none of the eccentricity, none of the alienness. He was just another tortured war survivor, and I can’t believe in him as the Doctor. That said, I loved him at the time. I was so happy to have the show back I would have loved anyone. And 10, he was so egotistical and not at all the hero the Doctor could be. I’ve since thought very heavily about his time on the show and I can find him fascinating and enjoyable to watch, but the direction they took his Doctor in was so different from anything the Doctor ever was I have a hard time with it.

This also has a lot to do with the fact that I never thought RTD understood the show at all, so I’m just not a fan of the way he wrote his two Doctors.

In order, best to worst:

1 – Patrick Troughton
    2 – Peter Capaldi
    3 – Paul McGann
    4 – Tom Baker
    5 – Sylvester McCoy
    6 – Matt Smith
    7 – Jon Pertwee
    8 – John Hurt
    9 – William Hartnell
    10 – Colin Baker
    11 – David Tennant
    12 – Christopher Eccleston

• Linwe says:

Forgot Peter Davison! He’d probably be in between Jon Pertwee and John Hurt.

The fact that you forgot him may be more telling, Linwe! ;0

• Dr Moo says:

How did that happen? Probably because his stories served him very poorly with only a handful of decent ones most of his are forgettable which is a shame. Earthshock is by far his best with The Caves Of Androzani coming in second and then Time Crash, I struggle to remember many more.

• Linwe says:

His era was pretty forgettable. Better than having one so awful you can’t forget, like poor Colin Baker, I suppose.

• Dr Moo says:

I agree; I love the 6th Doctor but only two of his stories are any good: Vengeance On Varos and Revelation Of The Daleks (RotD was filmed in and around my home town, I used to walk my dog along the path that Orcini travels when he discusses assassinating Davros). But even those two, his best two, are pretty weak compared to most of what all the other Doctors were given.

• Linwe says:

I can’t stand Revelation even, Vengeance is the only one of any quality. I like his Doctor though, he was just extremely poorly served.

• Dr Moo says:

Definitely, VoV is extremely underrated in my opinion but still not that great compared to most of the stories for the other Doctors.

I like the Fifth Doctor, but there are certain stories and scenes in which he’s just background, really – standing there while other actors, especially villains, are stealing the spotlight.

Then there’s the bits where he rushes into rooms breathlessly, or backs out of them breathlessly.

He gets the chance to display his sarcastic side better in Caves and in Time Crash. I could’ve done with seeing more of that.

And Caves is still one of my favourite – if not my absolute favourite – stories. It helps that he was given a decent characterisation in that one.

• Linwe says:

I don’t think he really figured out how to play the role until Caves. He is really good at sarcasm though!

• Dr Moo says:

Disagree, he knew what he was doing from the start the problem lies with the stories he had to work with. It seems like they finally nailed it properly with Earthshock but then forgot all about it for a while until The Caves Of Androzani.

• Linwe says:

He’s much more like his Big Finish self in Caves as compared to the rest of his onscreen time. You can see hints of it earlier, but it all comes together there.

Caves was a fluke though, for pretty much the whole 1980s though. Not a great time for the show.

• Dr Moo says:

Yeah, the 80s were pretty awful but some good stuff is hidden in there if you look carefully. Take the final season for example which had such masterpieces as Curse Of Fenric or Survival. I mentioned before about Earthshock, Caves Of Androzani and Vengeance On Varos. In 81 we had Keeper Of Traken and Logopolis. Otherwise yes, most of the 1980s were fairly dull-to-bad.

I also like the sarcasm at the end of the Visitation. He is in the TARDIS searching for the Terileptils. Adsric asks if he knows where they are. “Yes. That’s why we’re searching.”

Much as I try to avoid lists I am glad to see Pat Troughton getting recognition that he was more than a clown or half a double-act.
      At times I wonder if all we are doing is projecting our likes/dislikes onto these varied interpretations of the Doctor, but reading people’s reasons for their choice pulls me back into the debate.
      So I like those Doctors who both represent the best of us AND add something alien, unpredictable and dangerous; Who is drama, not hagiography.
      I cringe when Who seems to be written as a soap or a romance, but rejoice that we get such excellent actors who rise above the worst material.
      We can’t know why Eccleston’s relationship with the show is as it is, his silence may be more honouring to us than we imagine. But when the actors also clearly LOVE the show as we do it’s hard not to ‘mark up’ their Doctor just for making us happy!

• Linwe says:

That’s the thing with each Doctor being so different, it gives everyone something. There are Doctors for people who like the more human ones, and for people who like the really alien ones (like me!)

I do tend to prefer actors who are happy to be there, in Eccleston’s case he never seemed to get the show even before he took the role, so that’s what I respond to more than his feelings afterward. Everyone has bad experiences but I never got the feeling he was interested.

• Semi-Evil Semi-Genius says:

I love Two’s discussion with Victoria about grief in Tomb of the Cybermen. His comedy was great, but I think that his epitome of dramatic acting in the show. To me, it’s the most heartwarming moment in the series. It’s so perfectly real on its own, but works just as well with an ancient being like a Time Lord as well.
      I think Troughton also juggled comedy and drama better than some. Yes, he would act a fool in danger as part of ploys. But I don’t think he ever acted inappropriately. Tennant and Smith sometimes do some comedy bits in scenes they shouldn’t. What comes to mind is Ten chatting about his specs and seeing “voidy stuff” in Doomsday, as Daleks and Cyber-Men slaughter humans in the streets below. Just didn’t sit right with me.

17. bonobobananas says:

David Tennant for me (although he was terrific in Human Nature). Incredibly irritating mannerisms. Closely followed by ‘Fantastic’ Eccleston and limp rag Davison. That said Davison gets a lifetime free pass for the awesome Five(ish) Doctors.

• Semi-Evil Semi-Genius says:

DT, for me, is a bit of a pendulum. Swings from utter greatness to ridiculous camp. Human Nature / Family of Blood is probably my favorite story. I just watched the animated DT episodes The Infinite Quest & Dreamland for the first time, and his mannerisms just drove me up the wall the whole time. Particularly, the 10,000 rendition of “I’m so sorry” bothered me to the extreme (made me realize that Allons-y is most definitely NOT his catchphrase in the least). I definitely enjoyed his performance as the Doctor at times though.

18. Alex Gabriel says:

Like any fan I can appreciate them all, but Five and Ten are probably the two who stick out as not quite working for me.

• Dr Moo says:

I feel a similar way to you there and I blame the awful-to-average characterisation they each had to work with, it’s certainly not the fault of Tennant and Davison who are both great actors.
      Remarkably they both (somehow) work really well together in “Time Crash” and prove they can both be good with decent writers like (Your Favourite!) Steven Moffat.

19. Kelly says:

While my absolute favorite episode (Vincent and the Doctor) takes place during his era, I do not like the Eleventh Doctor in the slightest. His childish mannerisms and overly flirtatious banter irk me to no end; while I recognize Ten was significantly more romantic than other Doctors, his relationships were more…solid, for lack of a better word.
    I’ve not watched very much Classic Who, so my knowledge of Classic Doctors is limited, but from what I’ve seen, I’m not very fond of the First and Second Doctors, nor am I a huge fan of Four, either, which surprised me. Five through Seven are kind of “meh” to me. Three is my favorite Classic Doctor; he had me at “shoes.”
    For the newer Doctors, I’m a fan of all but Eleven. Ten and Twelve are tied for my favorite, while Eight and Nine come at a close (tied) second. Eleven…well. I’ve already shared my feeling on him. If I had to rank him out of all twelve (not including the War Doctor), I’d put him at eight, in front of, respectively, Seve, Six, One, and Two.

20. Canvilella says:

I enjoy them all, but if I had to choose, my least favorite has to be the Third Doctor…

21. Luke Beattie says:

Glad to see the authors of a doctor who blog haven’t even watched most of it…. nor listened to most of it…