Four Episodes In, What Do You Think Of Capaldi’s Doctor?

Ladies, gentlemen, undecided and uncategorised; we have lived through the first third of the Twelfth Doctor’s debut series. Peter Capaldi is the first new Doctor of the second 50 years of our show (or “Phase II” as it’s known round here). What do we make if him so far…?

A wee while before the Twelfth Doctor was dislodged from a dinosaur’s tonsils and landed on the banks of the Thames, I suggested this wide-eyed Scot might bring us some of the “fire and ice and rage” that we’ve been promised since 2005. Now, after four action-packed episodes filled with snarling eye-brows-on-a-mission, what are our impressions?

I happen to be one of the Classic crowd who are more comfortable with an older actor in the role, though Matt Smith did an incredible job of playing an ancient alien in a young hipster’s body. But with Capaldi’s alarmingly slim silhouette and aggressive eye-furniture, he looks *wonderful*. He can do more with those eyes and a bit of silence than a page of monologuing. There’s something dangerous, clever and exciting behind those eyes…

We’d expected a very different take on the character and it seemed as though the dynamic between Clara and the Doctor would have to change given the underlying flirtation with the Eleventh and the Twelfth visually looking a generation older. That was tackled head-on with his older appearance being described as an act of trust and the Doctor ‘lifting the veil’ to his companion and the world around him. Moffat has embraced the more mature Time Lord Capaldi brings and made it part of the character. There’s a sense of returning home – at least for those of us well-acquainted (read ‘besotted’) with the Classic era.

I’m not especially interested in direct comparisons to Classic Doctors but there’s certainly a tetchiness and intolerance of fools (or “puddingheads”, viz. all humans) and we’ve seen him be almost contemptuous after a soldier’s death in Into the Dalek. This Doctor is unpredictable, dangerous, rude and you wouldn’t take him home to your mother. And thank goodness for that. The edginess ups the stakes a little and has made the relationship with Clara immeasurably more interesting. In fact that’s one of the things I’m enjoying most – Jenna Coleman is being given more to do and getting some character development she was denied as the “impossible girl”. The jovial bullying or complete lack of awareness the Doctor now has about her attractiveness is a damn sight more watchable than the Eleventh’s hinted lust (commenting gleefully on her short skirt). Lines like “you’ll just have to squeeze past” after parking the TARDIS in her bedroom and “oh that’s right keep your spirits up” regarding her looks are delivered with a cheeky aplomb from Capaldi. The cast look like they’re enjoying themselves and it’s infectious…

Quibbles? Well, okay. I get the feeling there’s a bit of a NuWho hangover. Some speeches and technobabble are delivered with a kind of aggression that seems a little misplaced. As though being a dynamic and exciting actor/ character weren’t enough, Capaldi sometimes seems –to me, at least– as though he’s having to shout and race to the end of the line. This happened a little with his predecessor and occasionally some dialogue is lost and not, as I understand is occasionally the case across the pond, because of his Scottish brogue. I’m hoping he’ll settle into things and hit his stride over the next four episodes and we can have eccentric rudeness without the hint of butch.

Ultimately our new Doctor is finding his feet and we have a lot more in store. The most promising thing for me is that a few times over the past four episodes, I’ve got that special tingle. It’s that jolt of excitement when someone says “Doctor?” There’s a tiny part of your brain that suddenly really believes it’s him – the renegade who tried to hide in a junkyard in 1960s London before taking us on the trip of a lifetime… It’s something that I’ve sadly not had a great deal with NuWho – whilst not every episode can be a winner, the writing and performances have now and again been truly wonderful, but that special feeling that my seven-year-old self had back in the ’80s has rarely surfaced. However I have inklings; now and again I see Capaldi and get that twinge of excitement that I’m looking at an ancient and bonkers freedom-fighter on an extended road-trip. The Doctor – My Doctor – might be back…

So that’s me. I’m chuffed with what we’ve seen so far and think I might be totally sold on the new Doctor. To needlessly paraphrase the Fourth, quoting the Bard, there’s a pricking in my thumb that something wicked this way comes – and that’s wicked in the Classic sense of *totally awesome*. Fire and Ice and rage. And the mystical Doctor from my childhood may be on the horizon!

But what about you, Kasterborites? How have you found Capaldi’s first four? Does he feel like the Doctor? Does the rudeness tickle you or turn you off? Are you missing Smith or have you forgotten there was ever anyone else in the role? And what are you predictions for the character and his relationship with Clara? Tell us below!

… And while you’re at it, head over the SFX – they’re looking for fan’s reactions to Capaldi to feature in their October edition.

1. TonyS says:

I am reserving judgment on the new Doctor until nearer the end of the season. I understand that the story arc involves him discovering what kind of person he is. But that is a dangerous strategy: look at Colin Baker. If you’re going to be a work in progress, you need to be in place long enough to advance and develop.

Peter Capaldi’s acting is superb of course. I am just not yet convinced about the characterisation.

Jenna Coleman, as you rightly say, really comes into her own and is magnificent.

What do I think of the 12th Doctor? To paraphrase the 3rd Doctor, I still am… thinking.

2. vidarraven says:

I am enjoying this new old style Doctor completely

3. Al says:

Capaldi had me at the eyebrows back on Day of the Doctor, and so far he hasn’t disappointed, from his unsettling post-regenerative crisis to his Emmy-worthy performance in Listen. If he’s this good after playing the character for only four episodes (remembering the season was filmed more or less in order of broadcast), imagine how amazing he’ll be in his second or (hopefully) third season.

4. DonnaM says:

I expected to love him, and I do. It’s wonderful to have a Doctor who doesn’t give two hoots whether the pudding brains like him or not, doesn’t drool over his companion and doesn’t think that yelling “I’m The Doctor” and sticking out his bottom lip constitutes a demonstration of authority.

There’s an alien edge, a less user-friendly element to quote the man himself, that’s been lacking in the last couple of incarnations, and it’s an advantage for me that the humour is less slapstick and more acerbic too. I don’t laugh at flailing arms and things being cool, but poor old Ross being the top layer, and Robin Hood’s laughter asking for a punch in the face… not sure what it says about me, but I hooted!

As for the calibre of the acting – well, that was a given, but the level of subtlety, as opposed to the broad brush strokes of Tennant and Smith, is a joy and finally, in Listen, I saw a performance to surpass Eccleston in Dalek as the finest by a Doctor this century. In short, I would even sit through another Fear Her or Curse of the Black Spot with Mr Capaldi in the central role. I can’t give higher praise than that 🙂

• Bar says:

I was with you up to ‘Fear Her’…! After ‘Listen’ I wonder if he cares more than it appears what the pudding-brains think. Well, some of them anyway.

I expected to love Capaldi and I do; I didn’t expect to love Jenna Coleman, but the way they spark off one another – as actors as well as characters – is glorious. Capaldi’s balance of movement and stillness is mesmeric, and yes, I love all the classic references, but not as much as I love the way he is entirely his own Doctor too.

The slow-burn character development is, IMHO paying off, but I’m happy to wait through 4 seasons rather than 4 episodes. I hope he stays for years, but if he can’t, all is not lost: look what happened to 6 and 8 after they left the screen.

But it’s not all down to the actors: the shift in emphasis and direction is writers, showrunner, directors et al too. I value Eccleston for being the only one who could launch WHO’s return so well, and Smith and Tennant for carrying the breakneck pace, but RussT did seem to be aiming at the Buffy audience. This feels like a more mature show the way Torchwood often wasn’t. WHO is best when it hints at depth and darkness, black humour and jeopardy, and that rare thing evident in Listen far more than the obvious ‘boyfriend’ stories; intimacy.

And if viewing figs seem low, remember how Blade Runner was treated for years before it became the all-out classic. Real coffee beats instant any day.

• Paul McGann's Cat says:

Re: your last paragraph, the problem is that it’s all instant these days. Take the Star Trek franchise. It lasted because of it’s quality and uniqueness. Hell, even it was a twice cancelled show in the 60s! But it endured because of it’s uniqueness and creativeness. But what is now happening? You have the franchise now being rebooted and used for short term, instant blockbuster successful. Ultimately, these days, all studios think about is the short term and my worry is that Capaldi won’t be given a long enough chance if the ratings do dip.

• Henry Hamilton says:

Spot on DonnaM. I like that Capaldi doesn’t have to shout to show his authority the way Tennant constantly overplayed it. His authority stems from his stillness and the subtlety of his performance – you know he is taking everything in and working it all out and calculating his next move. The amazing energy is in his head not expressed through hand waving, teeth gritting, running his hand through his hair or any of the other tics David Tennant resorted to demonstrate that he was ‘being clever’. You are also spot on that Capaldi’s doctor is a return to the classic era which didn’t require a young female companion to simper and fawn over the Doctor constantly like the Rose character did in every episode. I abandoned Who for a long time during Tennant’s time – primarily because I could not bear his dreadful overacting but equally because of the horrible way the companion had become solely a love interest, rather than someone who wanted to have exciting adventures. I remembered the wonderful Jo Grant, ready for anything or Sarah Jane or Liz Shaw. Real grown up women, not some kind of love sick adolescent.

• DonnaM says:

One of my favourite things about The Day of the Doctor was the way Moffat sent up Tennant’s allegedly irresistible appeal to women, having the Virgin Queen fall in love with him, no less. I enjoyed his Doctor a lot of the time, but I did wince when he tried to show authority: it’s something that he and Matt both struggled with for me, but that Capaldi just exudes without trying.

• lea says:

I disagree with Donna M I feel Tennant showed his authority many times over in The Christmas Invasion and Voyage of the Damed Who am I ? I am the Dr and I am the one who is going to save you! But I think they all have done a good job of showing authority. I fear at times the writing suffers. I hated that Tennant as a ladies man was reduced to being somewhat simple minded during the Day of the Dr. It was never like that during his era! I feel it was done to down play his dr to Smith’s I am reserving judgment on Capaldi. His acting is great with what he has to work with. However I feel Much more attention is paid to Sherlock Scripts and it may doom Dr Who.

5. NickJ says:

At first I must admit I didn’t take to Peter Capaldi at all. His Doctor did and said things which did not sit well for the character. Particularly after the third episode Robot of Sherwood I felt he was unlikeable. Then I got it. He is like that for a reason, and I don’t mean the usual regeneration problems. I think Steven Moffat is setting up a series arc concerning his character. I think the last episode Listen is particularly significant in respect of this.

I think he’s doing a fine job. His performance is consistently strong, even when the episodes are uneven. Although I grew up on the classic series, after two buddy-Doctors in a row, it is a bit of a jolt again to get a more complex, difficult Doctor to deal with, but I think this has allowed Clara to take a more up-front role, now that she has moved beyond the Impossible Girl mystery.

I do love that they have reached back to the show’s origins by bringing in Coal Hill School. I wonder if the Doctor will have any memories of it in The Caretaker?

• calliarcale says:

I expect so, given that he’s returned there before — the Seventh Doctor returned to Coal Hill School ca. 1969 for “Remembrance of the Daleks”, perhaps only narrowly missing himself and Susan leaving.

7. dr jon says:

This doctor is a doctor which will be talked about for years to come.Its a new era with echo’s of his past lives Thrown in the mix.The first doctors moody old man,the third doctors lack of tact when humans can’t understand what is happening around them.And fourth’s alien nature and not reacting as others would.And i think a touch of sixth’s dry humor.Also a lot of his own personality. i Think we as viewers are going to have a few shocks on the way before we see this dr is a doctor we can trust fully and be at ease with in the tardis.Then when we have all the pieces we will all think,so thats why he was like that.Great stuff.

8. TonyS says:

I have a friend who is not a Dr Who fan. (Yes, I know: but we have to make allowances). She watches the programme because she knows I am a fan. She really does not like this unapproachable, unreliable Doctor.

I hope the production team are not making a mistake in taking so long for him settle down to a character on whom we can rely.

Fans will tend to stick with the programme. Casual viewers need to be persuaded.

• lea says:

Spoilers..?. I am happy that Peter has mentioned River but Tennent had no idea who she was. Yet, most everything on her was covered in Matt Smith’s era. I mean she almost killed him more than once .Her character never fails to amaze me. Not even if she became the Dr herself one day. Maybe she will switch personalities with Capaldi in an episode? Opps Did I say royalties Moffat?

9. stlshawn says:

I am enjoying this series more than I have since I was a child.
    Capaldi is fantastically scary, even though many of these scripts (so far) are still timed for Smith. That will change I’m sure as time rolls on

10. J W says:

Loving Capaldi. While I enjoyed Tennant and Smith’s tenure Capaldi is the first nuwho era Doctor who truly evokes the feel of the classic series for me. Watching him I see shades of Pertwee, Hartnell, both Bakers, and McCoy. He’s gruff, prickly, ascerbic, childish, mysterious, and unpredictable. In other words, he is the Doctor.

11. Ranger says:

I just simply love Capaldi – he just might be, in my case, the best Doctor ever – though I am fighting total capitulation to him until the end of the series.

12. kevin merchant says:

This sort of characterization kept people hooked for eight series of “House” and I expect it will keep people hooked on Doctor Who for as long as Peter Capaldi wants to play the role.

• Jason says:

I absolutely loved “House”, but watching it made me sad that they didn’t pick Hugh Laurie to play the Doctor! Capaldi is fantastic, I love his prickliness and unpredictability, good to see those characteristics back!

• calliarcale says:

Laurie could make a very interesting Doctor, and of course has been rumored before. It would be amusing to see American viewers surprised by his natural English accent. I haven’t seen much House, though. To me, he’s Bertie Wooster. Quite a different character. 😉

• mrjohnm says:

when “House” ended, I told my students that Hugh Laurie wanted to go back home for the chance to be the next Doctor. They were very excited about that!

13. dailypop says:

“The Doctor – My Doctor – might be back…”

You put it very well (with full respect to Smith… and the other ones.

14. So far? I’m seeing no other than Sheldon Cooper playing the Doctor. I absolutely loved “Listen”. But I am just waiting for the moment he will say “hey! That’s my spot”. I think they are overdoing the distant and unapproachable thingy. When he walks away from that, it is even better like during “Listen”. But I don’t see any “classic” who style but basically a Sheldonish type of person. “The end of Listen is a fine example when Clara hugged and he says “no, no hugging”.
    But he is the Doctor and I love the Doctor regardless of who is playing it.
    Now Listen was absolutely brilliant. The whole danny/clara seems too forced. The scene at the restaurant when they “jump” the date to the point when both are laughing was painful to watch.
    But I watched the classic ones when I was a kid on the 70s and I don’t feel related between Tom Baker for example and this adventures. Loved both though. Great and sad that we have less than 10 episodes left

15. Paul McGann's Cat says:

A more mature, classic style Doctor and I’m delighted. My only concern is that he’s not colourful and youthful enough for the fans and children who have come on board since Tennant….and I’m worried that it may present a threat to the ratings….which would make me even sadder at the state of fandom.

• Bar says:

(re your Star Trek point above) Blockbusters tend to aim for quantity over quality of fans; it’s all about money. Doctor Who, I hope, is different. Those who are into merchandise tend to be even more geeky obsessed, not mere consumers. Remember Capaldi chose a costume that could be copied cheaply – he’s a classic-style fan himself. So he’s not all about money either.
      It was quality fans, not quantity ones, that kept the flame burning through the off-screen (I refuse to call them ‘wilderness’) years.
      btw I love your identname – two favourite things in one.
      To Ranger above I have to admit Capaldi captured me over 30 years ago, running like a dork and talking russian with his fingers. Local hero to intergallactic time-travelling hero in 31 years.
      Let’s have faith in both Capaldi’s and the newer fans’ patience, and maybe the studios will realise there is a call for better stuff.

• DonnaM says:

There’s another group to consider – those who got tired of the manic “colourful” and have to be wooed back! I know several who drifted away during the Tennant and Smith years, who felt The Doctor was turning into a cartoon version of the Classic character. I’m still working on the doubters, but Capaldi has already to my certain knowledge brought a few back into the fold!

The BBC is unlikely, I would think, to cut a show winning in final ratings about seven million: ratings generally, even for juggernauts like The Fix Factor ain’t what they used to be. It’s easy for me as an old-timer to get paranoid, but we’re a long way off the situation of the mid-to-late eighties I think.

16. Henry Hamilton says:

As a fan of the classic era I can only echo that we finally have the return of the Doctor I grew up with and loved. Kudos to Eccleston, a damn fine actor, for relaunching the show but he was hampered by very poor scripts and concepts and never seemed comfortable with some of the particularly silly parts of RTD’s script writing. I know they cast Tennant to catch on with the younger fan base, particularly teenage girls. but the show morphed into something which wasn’t discernibly Doctor Who as it had existed for the previous decades. To be honest I skipped watching Who religiously during Tennant’s time for the first time in my entire Who watching life – I knew he wasn’t a doctor written for people like me. The marvellous Matt Smith finally made me appreciate New Who as he was the first of the new doctors to really understand the character (ironic given he could never have seen it as a child). His Doctor became an alien again rather than a boybander or the lead in a soap opera but wonderful as he was, he was just too young for me to ever feel he could be the same Doctor I had grown up with. But now, it is as if my patient waiting has finally been justified. We have a mature ‘proper’ actor cast for his ability. not his appeal to teenagers, who brings so much mystery and depth to the Doctor yet is impish and sarcastic and smart and you just know he is the cleverest person in the room just by those amazing eyebrows. Capaldi takes me back to Troughton and Pertwee and Tom Baker and now that I have had an opportunity to see William Hartnell episodes, I can see that Peter has also drawn from the original doctor in forming his character. In his interviews, Peter just oozes Who and you know that if he had his way, he’d be in this role for 50 years. Sometimes I feel this season has been just written for me by Steven Moffat as I have *loved* every bit so far, particularly the dynamic between Peter and Jenna. Their acting knocks spots off anything in 21 Century Who and quite frankly after last week, pretty well anything else on television. So, that ‘s a big YES from me. Peter has dethroned ‘my’ Doctor, Jon Pertwee from the top spot. He is simply THE DOCTOR.

17. I am the Paw says:

I think Capaldi lacks – rather ironically given the fact the Doctor is alien! – the human touch. He’s not likable in the role, lacks a degree of empathy and the light touches – the jokes etc – don’t seem so natural when Capaldi utters them. If the tv ratings are decent I guess he’ll stay for the long haul but I’d prefer a younger actor, one with more natural charisma and likability. Matt Smith had those traits. 🙂 Put it another way, I won’t miss Capaldi when he leaves the part!

• David says:

He is awful. The stories have been laughable in this series with there ridiculousness. His incoherent language (does he even speak English?) and a character that seems to be a self centred, pig headed and generally a pain in the butt. And that seems to be his good points.

• James Lomond says:

I’m really sorry you’re not enjoying him David and I am the Paw – I know what that’s like as I really never warmed to the 9th Doctor and felt very much the same, that he was just an unpleasant character. And I completely didn’t buy the *nice* and goofy stuff Ecclestone did. Felt really uncomfortable and I wonder whether he felt comfortable portraying it.

But what I’m hoping is that the warmth between the 12th and Clara will become more obvious – I think it really is there and all the teasing about her looks and parking his TARDIS in her flat is like him trying to get her attention because he actually really likes her and wants to show off. Have you seen any of the 4th Doctor and Sarah-J-Smith episodes? I think and hope that they will end up being very much like them. Actually wonderful to watch and really joyous – just we haven’t got there quite yet. (Though obviously I’m enjoying the pairing already).

The self-centredness is supposed -I think- to be a defence because he’s actually a really quiet needy narcissist, a bit like Sherlock – needing an audience. And even the 11th said something like “I’m being terribly clever up here and there’s no one around to appreciate it, what’s the point in having you all?!” – it was done with more insight and playfulness but he’s always been a bit rough around the edges and a *performer* – that’s half the fun of the character that he *loves* saving people both because he has a moral code but also because he *loves* being clever and awesome.

Anyway I *really* hope you do find something you enjoy in the performances as it’s shitty not feeling good about a show you love. The wounds from Love & Monsters have nearly healed but I still bear the scars 😉

“His incoherent language (does he even speak English?)” – Do you mean his Scottish accent?

If you want to talk about incoherent language, you’ll need to address your spelling of ‘their’ as ‘there’ and your lack of a noun after ‘a self-centred, pig-headed’. And it’s ‘those seem to be his good points’, not ‘that’.

18. I love his dead-pan delivery of lines, where other Nu-Who Doctors would play it goofy, wave their arms around “I’m telling a JOKE” sort of way, there is a waspish, sarcastic quality with Capaldi that I enjoy.

I do find his dialogue difficult to understand sometimes on first watch, and need another watch to get what he’s saying.

I really enjoyed Matt Smith, but I wasn’t enjoying the stories he was in after series 5. Matt was the reason for watching series 6 and 7 for me, and it strikes me that the Capaldi regeneration was needed to get them out of that rut – there was only one way they were writing for Matt – manic and goofy. I would have loved to have seen him in these slower paced stories.

19. barry whysall says:

all you so called fan that once sang tennants praises now slagging him off make me laugh. I think peter is a good actor but not for doctor who but he could stay its moffet and his bunch of writing chums I want to see the back off his10 years in now its turning in the jnt show all over again gets in new writers make it darker

20. Geoff says:

So we seem to be about 40% in favour 60% against which probably means normal people like him just fine!

Personally I am still not convinced about the characterisation of the new Doctor. I’ve tried but I still don’t like him and bevause of that for the first time since 1978 find myself not really too bothered if I don’t see this weeks episode for 5 or 6 days after broadcast.

Peter Capaldi is an excellent actor, he looks the part and I have no doubt over his ability to play the Doctor. I just don’t like the way it’s being done right now.

I find that (much like Colin Baker) they’ve cast an actor with charm and technical skill but aren’t using any of that charm. I can’t see why you’d cast a witty charismatic actor like PC and the go out of your way to make him as unlikeable as possible. They have stated this Doctor is going to be different to the last two. Well in the sense that the last two were largely loved by the audience I’d say mission accomplished.

I agree, Geoff.

I like having a change of direction, and was bored of the shouting, triumphal, overtly hero-worshipped style of Doctor; not the actors’ faults, but some of the dialogue didn’t serve them well. So I’m happy with a more sombre, sober approach.

But having seen PC as Caecillius and as himself on chat shows, he comes across as a charming man, and I’d like to see the writers giving him the opportunity to display that aspect more often.

21. barry whysall says:

what I see here is we have a new actor in the role but the same writers are writing still for the old guy Roberts still doing his comic stuff which suited smith but not pc if you have a new actor that says I want to play it like this but you still have the same old writers doing the same old stuff pc will look out of place how long do we keep singing moffets praises cus he writes one good story a season

22. lea says:

When they tire of re writing a show concept that has already been done ala Oceans 11 , and others they steal from…. They have the budget to pay others like Neil Gamian… Well how about going back to the Dr’s youth ala Smallville they might as well, show original stories with the Master when they were young say with Colin Morgan, Damian Molony, Aiden Turner or Bradley James. Yes they can do distant too. Even if they are only 75 yes old or so. At least we could see differences like in the episode Listen in the Dr’s youth.

23. mpoliakoff24 says:

I like Peter Capaldi; I hate the scripts. I also don’t like the disrespect that Clara shows for the doctor. But then again–that’s the script writing

• lea says:

I liked when Donna up to Dr 10 .I loved to see their admiration & mutual respect for each other. I do not comprehend some of the scripts… where this Dr leaves his companions to fend for themselves, as past Dr’s have been obsessive about saving their companions and even those newly aquainted with the Dr. Just as I find it hard to swallow the idea of the impossible girl’s reaction to her Dr’s ,yet…. Another regeneration . As if this was new to her. They were both to have memories of all of this? It’s like they’re completely different people now.

24. andrea414 says:

I agree with so much of your opinion in this article. I am an American woman in her 40’s, who became acquainted with Doctor Who during Tennant’s run. I was aware of the Classic Who when I was younger, but I sadly considered things like Tolkein and science fiction as “nerdy boy stuff.” When I grew up and was more comfortable with being myself, I found how much I loved “nerdy boy stuff,” and have been reveling in it all since. So I am only a tad bit familiar with Classic Doctors (have watch some shows on Netflix much to my husband’s amusement – he was a Who fan when he was a geeky young boy). Having said that, is it weird that I love them all? I liked Eccleston, loved Tennant (especially with Donna) and Smith, and I am REALLY enjoying Capaldi. I love his curmudgeon-y, socially awkward, and almost child-like style. He’s an old man and a young kid at the same time. And while I wasn’t terribly fond of Clara and the flirty relationship she had with 11, I find I am enjoying her so much more with Capaldi. But since I’m writing this after having watched through “Kill The Moon,” I must admit I’m starting to feel conflicted about her as she embarks on the relationship with Danny Pink and is acting more bossy with the Doctor. Did anyone else feel that it was odd that she got so angry with the Doctor at the end? To me it didn’t feel quite right, and I’m still trying to sort out exactly why.

• Voo7 says:

Personally speaking I love Capaldi , the show needed this switch to a darker more acidic Doctor , worldly wise and sometimes weary , I haven’t seen one episode yet (currently up to Kill The Moon) that I sat back and went ‘Meh’ , also unlike trying to get my head around the fact that the Doctor spent 900 years on one planet whilst a whole race of Aliens who would spend that massive amount of time as well trying to get him without giving up along the way which was preposterous to belive in or that one guy would stand outside a box for 2,000 years was it? whilst his wife was inside and not go mad , stories that were so unrealistic that left me scratching my head , this Doctor and the stories so far are all beleiveable as Doctor Who stories even the superb Robots Of Sherwood showcased him off great.

I think Clara is still nursing the hangover of losing Matt Doctor who she obviously had strong feelings for and is ready to take it out on Peter Doctor when the need arises.

This series can only get better still as we find out what is behind ‘heaven and Missy’ and what is the ‘Real’ deal with Soldier Pink.

Me for one am loving it.

25. I’m glad they went with an older Doctor, as one person stated the 12th Doctor is darker, I agree he does seem darker personality wise. I think Peter Capaldi is doing a pretty good Job and hope he sticks around for a while. Peter Capaldi as the Doctor is like a breath of fresh air.